When Your Imagined Life is Nothing Like This One


There were so many ways I imagined my adult life would be....THIS is not one of them. 

I posted that on my Facebook wall last night. It might have been seen as funny except my choice of hashtags gave me away:

treading water getting nowhere
piles of disappointment
not many successes
worn out and exhausted
out of options


I always imagined my life would be thrilling. Full of exciting adventures and people from all over the world. I would dine at Ethiopian, Thai, and Indian restaurants. I would write books, teach English, coach forensics and direct the play. My husband would be charming and funny and not care about gender roles when it came to household chores. He would beg for at least six kids and I would fall in love with him all over again each time I caught him giving good life advice.

I would take photographs and travel the world documenting the people I came across. I would adopt a sibling group of three or maybe four and work on foster care policies because the ones we have aren't working. 

I would live in a house with lots of windows because nothing feels better than natural light and my walls would be bright and the lights would always be on. The lawn would be mowed and I'd wave at the neighborhood kids from my front porch swing.

I would sing and run and ride a bike - but not a horse because no matter how majestic and beautiful they are they still have teeth and don't tell me horses don't bite because I have first hand childhood experiences with a doozy named Rocket.

I would wear smart clothes and keep running my 5 miles a day because I love the sound of feet hitting pavement. (All you earbud wearing people are missing out.)

I would hop in the car and just drive until I got there, not a care in the world other than experiencing the journey I didn't know I was even on. Surely it would be a convertible.

I would get my own radio show where a stranger would walk in and in a half hour we'd all know their amazing story because every single person on the planet has one. And I would write in my own column whatever I felt like writing about. Surely it would be syndicated

I would have friends over for themed dinner parties and we'd laugh and talk about documentaries and eat gorgeous food that I made myself. I would go to plays and see comedians (but not the really raunchy ones) and purchase popcorn with extra butter for every comedy I would watch in the movie theater.

I would be carefree and happy and doing what I love the most: always learning about our world - like how redheads require about 20% more anesthesia to "go under" than other hair colors or that water can freeze AND boil at the same time - it's called the triple point. 

But none of that is my life. 

I am a 44-year old single mom who lives at home with her parents. The lights are always off in my parent's home because apparently we're anti-light. (Yes, I pay really good rent to be here.) 

I work in a painfully high male dominated industry and I cannot work hard enough or be perfect enough to illicit even the smallest amount of respect from my peers. I should explain that my peers don't even consider me their peer. I'm just "the girl in the office." The only writing I do is in email form or for dry reports in which one particular colleague of mine enjoys picking apart every syllable I write or speak in an effort to make me look completely incompetent in front of my co-workers. This has been going on since I filed a sexual harassment claim against my boss and was told I should "be happy because I got what I wanted - he's gone now, isn't he?" Good times.

I rarely eat out at restaurants that feature cuisine from other cultures because I can't figure out what is gluten free and therefore safe enough for me to eat. I have adopted zero kids and fostered even less. Instead of gaining more kids, I've lost half the ones God originally blessed me with. 

The only documentaries I watch are the ones on Netflix that I watch after my son goes to bed.

The majority of my everyday I do pretty good. I mean, I still read ferociously enough to learn a lot, but every so often this memory from the past rises to the surface and changes everything.

I was just standing there alone like my awkward high school self was known to do when a classmate came waking up to me. They stopped in front of me and calmly said, "I'm going to graduate and be an attorney.... you are never going to amount to anything." The thing is, this is someone I never spoke to. Like, ever. That was seriously the only interaction we ever had. More good times.

I've never cared whether they became an attorney or not but I've often wondered if they knew something back then that I didn't know. Was it the way I styled my hair? How I spoke? The grade I got in Geometry? Because I admit, that was a really bad grade but in my defense I have NEVER needed this:



By the way, those are the formulas to figure out volume and surface area of a right circular cone - and, honestly, other than ice cream cones and those orange construction cones WHY DO WE CARE?!

Sorry if I offended any mathematicians out there but I'm kind of busy having my midlife crisis here.

Which means I have 44 years to save up for my funeral and cemetery plot.

I usually try to end on some high note. Something encouraging and impressive, but I've honestly got nothing. I know this will pass. I know, logically, my life is so very, very good. I've seen what life is like in Haiti and trust me - I'm beating myself up for how petty I sound right now. 

I guess I just figured that by now I would have done something... something sure and solid... built something that would last: a family, a home, a career, a change... something I could point to and say to my awkward teen self, "nah, they've got it all wrong. You're about to knock it out of the park."

Comments

SparksFlying said…
Ohhh girl. But you’ve done something better than that maybe-attorney/definitely-jerk will likely ever do. You took your shattered heart, loved hard regardless and then, with your Heaven-living precious daughter, built a house in Haiti out of it (dammit, now I’m trying not to cry in a long meeting). Never ever forget how mightily God is using you now. You know why? Because you said yes. You said “here I am, send me”. To this date I’ve yet to meet an attorney who did anything near as amazing as you are doing now. Keep going. Even when it’s hard and your coworkers behave like assholes.
And you are a single mom living at home with your parents. Know what that means? It means you have chosen not to live in sin with someone who’s not your husband. God can’t use people who are living that way. Hang in there and get ready because I have a good hunch that God is working up something huge for you. Stay close to him - get back into daily Bible reading. One chapter each day. Turn off the radio and talk with God all the way to and from work. Sing worship songs, good and loud on the way to pick n save. I am praying over you, beautiful girl.
Unknown said…
You are not alone. Praying for you. I think many of us struggle with the choices we make, & the outside circumstances that thrust us into the lives we are living. My first impression after reading your blog was: that guy who said that to you is an ***hole. I was going to look up some passages from Jesus praying in Gethsemane, inorder to pray for you. But my bible opened to Matthew 15:11 instead. "Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth,this defiles a man." That commentary from that "attorney" reminds me of the Pharisees Jesus was talking about in that verse. Bridget...All you have been doing, posting, has been inspiring to me. Your walk with Jesus is amazing. I have to be careful not to go down that negative spiral, too. I can often compare my jouney with other's paths...or my own expectations of where I "should" be...and get discouraged. I have to fight those negative thoughts Satan slips in everyday....I have to remind myself I am a child of GOD. GOD places value on you Bridget, Great VALUE!
Rachel said…
I first started reading your blog long ago when I moved to a new town and started at a new job while pregnant. I had my babies long before I made friends in that town. And I found your blog when I needed it. And then you lost your child. And I kept reading. And I kept reading because I couldn't imagine how someone could carry on after something so heartbreaking and I wanted to find out - - and what I witnessed was someone who did so with grace and open-hearted generosity. And then I stopped reading as my life moved on until our government took those kids - - and again, I needed help. And I turned to your blog. And I found that you are the one reaching out for help. So after all these years, I'm writing to say I respect you deeply and I believe in you and I hope you will find your peace and your joy. Although I don't share your religious views, I share your views on how we should all function in this crazy world. Lots of love to you. Rachel
Unknown said…
You have done something...You have built this! And young people like me can look up to you and know that it is going to be okay, even when life doesn't turn out as we pictured it. Most of your imagined life, are mine too-- House full of windows and lights, etc.-- After reading your post, I had this reassurance, not reassurance that my imagined life will realize itself, but reassurance that I will be okay if it doesn't. I just stumbled upon your blog and I like it already. Thank you for blessing my day with your Candor. Be brave!