From There to Here in 3 Short Years



There is just something magical about the first awareness of a birthday.

"It's my birthday! I going to be three! I so excited!!"


His wishes were simple:
new shoes for preschool
and a red backpack.

Daddy let him pick out his own birthday cake.
It had Winnie-the-Pooh on it and
sat in our refrigerator for a full 24 hours;
being checked on and pointed out every ten minutes.

"That's my birthday cake! I so excited!!"

He could hardly get to sleep:
"Tomorrow's my birthday! I so excited!!"

Our prayers included blessing Grammy and Papa
and Great Grandma and our birthday cake.

He literally jumped out of bed the next morning, arms flung wide:
"It's my birthday! I so excited!!"

He dressed himself in his big boy underwear,
light blue shirt and khaki shorts.

"I go church and Sunday School and sing music for my birthday! I so excited!!"

He skipped through the parking lot:
"I hear the music! I so excited!!"

After church services, everyone at Coffee Hour sang Happy Birthday...
he didn't realize it wasn't for him.
But he didn't care.

"It's my birthday!" he yelled when they finished. "I so excited!!"

We had pizza for lunch and too much cake and ice cream
and a visit from Rosie.
(They were both so excited!)

Then the five of us climbed into the car:
Mommy and Daddy
and two Big Sisters
and the super excited Birthday Boy.

And together we all went shopping
to look for new shoes for preschool
and a red backpack.


***

Boys are found everywhere --
on top of,
underneath,
inside of,
climbing on,
swinging from,
running around
or
jumping to.

Mothers love them,
little girls hate them,
older sisters and brothers tolerate them,
adults ignore them
 and Heaven protects them.

A boy is Truth with dirt on its face,
Beauty with a cut on its finger,
Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.

A boy is a magical creature;

You can lock him out of your workshop,
but you can't lock him out of your heart.

You can get him out of your study,
but you can't get him out of your mind.

Might as well give up
he is your captor,
your jailer,
your boss
and your master;

a freckled-faced,
pint-sized,
cat-chasing bundle of noise.

But when you come home at night
with only the shattered pieces of your hopes and dreams,
he can mend them like new with two magic words:
Hi, Dad!

~ Alan Marshall Beck

Comments

Chiconky said…
Happy birthday Kiddo! Three is awesome (and even better with a red backpack)!
Great birthday, momma! Happy Birthday big dude!
Becca said…
This is so awesome. Laughed out loud at " cat-chasing bundle of noise." YES. SO THIS.

Happy birthday to Cletus!