Johnny Marzetti takes the cake!

Impressing Big V with a decent dinner is pretty easy. He grew up on take out and fast food and is visibly impressed every time I actually produce something edible straight from the oven.

This weekend I told Big V I was going to make a pasta dish called Johnny Marzetti from a recipe I received from a co-worker and that it was kind of like a goulash. He shrugged his shoulders and went about his day.

When it was ready he happily consumed plate full after plate full, making me promise to serve it again. "I didn't know goulash could taste this good!" He gushed. "My mom used to make goulash - but she just made it with noodles and ketchup!"

Trust me when I say this is way better than noodles and ketchup.

Johnny Marzetti
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 large onions, sliced
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pound ground beef
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. In a large skillet melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, until begetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add beef and cook until it loses its pink color. Stir in tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Stir in cooked macaroni, then cheese. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake uncovered 30 minutes.

Serve with a nice Caesar salad and some garlic bread!
I don't have a picture of the finished product; however,
I do have a photo of the glorious vegetables "in process."

FYI: Johnny Marzetti originated in the twenties at the Marzetti Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. The dish was named after the owner's brother. And, actually, it's way less of a goulash and more of a baked pasta dish. Just saying.

Comments

Getrealmommy said…
Thanks for sharing. My kids *might* even eat this.