Trick or not.

The Bean was made for Halloween. That in and of itself made it an awesome holiday. I knew I hit character paydirt when she wanted to be a monk. She was two. Another year she was spaghetti and meatballs. Then she was a super feathery chicken. With orange skinny legs. All her costumes were handmade. All her costumes were awesome. Now she's fifteen and the only costumes she looks at have the descriptive label "sexy" in front of them. Sexy nurse. Sexy firefighter. Sexy cop. There is no sexy chicken. There is no sexy spaghetti and meatballs.

You'd think I could now live vicariously through Dotter - but she wants absolutely nothing to do with Trick or Treating. She hates strangers. She hates strange strangers even more and there's nothing worse than a stranger dressed as a zombie scaring the pants off little kids and rewarding them with a tootsie roll.

She doesn't want to trick or treat and she doesn't want to hand out candy. Although she does want to dress up and do something. Maybe I could just take her to the movies and call it a day. This would work out good because to be honest I don't want to stay home and hand out candy either. Most of the costumes suck. And if I'm going to spend my hard earned money buying candy for kids I don't know, the least they could do is put some effort into it.

Comments

I'd say about half the kids that come to our door aren't even wearing costumes. And the increase in sexy costumes has gotten out of control in the past several years. Sorry that it happens to be right when your Bean has become a young and beautiful teenager.