Just One Thing

Once upon a time I had this job with a really cool company except I was way too young to appreciate all its coolness - like the matching 401k and the lunch hour learning sessions and the fact that I was totally treated like a valuable asset. It's the little things, you know? Anyway, I had this super cool boss who also happened to be super hot AND intelligent. That was like bonus, bonus, BONUS! And made me really thankful I didn't work in accounting because the guy in charge over there was a total dweeb.

So my hot, smart, cool boss was a big fan of things like "if you're happy in your personal life you won't have much to worry you and get in the way of doing a fine job for me" and "if you feel good about your personal achievements it'll show in your professional achievements." It was all new to me but I did what he asked me to do and made a list of Personal and Professional Goals I wanted to accomplish, along with deadlines. Things like own my own house by the time I'm 25. And take a Spanish for Business Professional class within the next year.

And you know what? I accomplished everything on that list except for one thing.

Fast forward what feels to be a hundred years and my list is much more realistic: get to work kind of on time once in a while. Shower, preferably every day. Shave once a month during the winter months and once a week during summer. Nevermind: just don't ever wear shorts.

I started thinking that maybe I needed to add a few things to my list. A few goals to get my juices flowing, you know? So I don't end up one of those people that haven't left their house in over six weeks even though they haven't given birth.

I thought about what I might regret not doing on my death bed.... and I realized I am either an incredibly crafty person who can talk myself out of anything or an incredibly boring and lazy person who doesn't want to do much in life.

Sure, there's a lot of stuff I'd love to experience: for instance, if Countess de Lesseps wished to invite me to Morocco on her dime, of course I'd say yes, but that doesn't mean I want to carve out that path for myself. (Camels spit, you know.) 

I would love to learn how to crochet but I won't be crushed if I don't. I'll just buy my afghans ready made.

Really, there is just one thing on my list. The one I didn't accomplish before: become a published by the time I'm 30. And I need to get working on that. Especially since I'm over 30. By kind of several years. Know of anyone that needs a sarcastic writer for hire?

So, what's on YOUR list?

Comments

Becca said…
The shaving thing would be a good start for me. Maybe also "sit in a room with a plate of cookies and only eat two".
Tina, said…
1. Give all my extra weight away to a needy person, or anyone...
2. Be nice to two of my co-workers. I try really hard but then they do something so stupid and act like complete idiots and I loose my head.
3. Teach the Loan Processors how to look up a property in the central appraisal districts web site. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO BE YOUR ASSISTANT!!

Sorry, I guess really just wear skinny jeans and heels someday is my only goal.

hagsbusk
Johi said…
I am a big fan of lists... and of the power of lists.
I too, would love to be published. Maybe we should cowrite a snarky book? :)
Rebecca said…
I've crossed a couple of things off of my list, but I still have "Travel outside the US" and "Be a positive influence in someone's life" on there. I might have already succeeded in the second one, but I wouldn't know - better to influence more than one person than no one at all.
Xxx said…
To finally buy the workout game that I have been talking about buying so I can lose some weight.

But then I have to clean the living room so that I have room to do it.

And go to bed earlier so that I am not doing it in front of people in the morning.

Sigh.