Book Club

Tonight is Book Club. That's what we call it. Even though it's not mandatory that you actually read the book. Or any book for that matter. Heck, you don't even have to know where to get a book. Don't get me wrong, most of us read books - and sometimes they're even the book that was suggested for the actual book club monthly meeting, but mostly we're there for the wine. Which is necessary when trying to run away from the hecticness which is called Being A Mom.  It's pretty much the only place I can go that doesn't require a diaper bag and for that reason alone I refuse to miss it.

I used to fix dinner and make sure the girls' homework was done before I left, but now I just leave them to their own devices. I'd be a hypocrite if I forced them to eat a healthy dinner while I feasted on cucumber dill sandwiches and a chilled Riesling.

Being a memeber of a Book Club is mandatory for survival, especially if you're a working mother. Not just for the one night out a month, but also for the countless 'opportunities' it provides within the month:

"Honey, can you switch the loads of laundry? I'd do it, but I've really got to finish this book for Book Club."

"Why don't you and the kids just go ahead to your mother's - I'm in charge of coming up with the questions for Book Club and I haven't even started thinking about them yet."

"Sex? Right now? That truly sounds amazing -- it's just that I have so many chapters to read for Book Club... I guess sex will have to wait until I'm done. Darn Book Club and their ultra strict reading requirements."

Comments

Exactly. Mine is Thursday. Can't wait!