Budget Woes.

My mother taught me quite well. Financial security is a must. In order to obtain financial security you must simply live below your means. Work hard, earn money, save money THEN buy whatever it is you were saving for. No money? You don't buy it. Need money? Get another job. Don't want another job? Stop spending on things you don't need.

She taught me well.

I just haven't learned very well.

I've got the budget thing down. Our budget, it's like a work of art. The columns, the categories, the totals - it brings tears to my eyes it's so good. If we follow this budget to the letter we will not only have all the debt paid off in two years (including vehicles; excluding mortgage), we'll be able to ship both of the older children off to week long camp this summer. And that is much more motivating than having the car paid off.

But, of course, we don't follow the budget to the letter. It's treated more like wall art than a working document. "Hey! Look at this great table saw I picked up. I wasn't planning on it, but it was such a great deal I just couldn't pass it up!" Which essentially translates to, "Hey! Either we don't pay the heat bill or we shrug off groceries for the family this month - you pick!"

I'll be looking for a second job today....

Comments