Day Two of a Really LONG School Year

Yesterday marked the second day of school. Two. Two days. That's it. And we celebrated it with tears. Just not tears of joy. We celebrated with I-hate-math-I'm-so-stupid-I-don't-understand-anything tears.

Math is the bane of my existence. I hated it when I went through school. Numbers scared me enough that my brain literally froze when those flashcards were thrown up. We used to play this game in the third grade called "Around the World." A student would stand next to another student and each would try to be the quickest to answer a math fact from a card the teacher displayed. Whoever "won" moved on and worked his or her way around the classroom, or around the world. I actually liked the game because it meant I had a good ten minutes to drift off and get lost in my imagination. (It wasn't like I'd be answering anything quickly.)

I am filled with dread when my kids ask for help on homework because it is always math. Always. And I hate it. And they do it so differently now. Not that I completely understood the way I was taught, but this is like freaky deaky math. This leaves me growing increasingly frustrated asking thirty seven times, "Well, how did your teacher explain it?" and the children crying out, "I don't know! If I knew I wouldn't be asking you for help!"

It is going to be a really. long. year.

Comments

Rebecca said…
I had completely forgotten about Around the World. I hated math too - still do. Good luck the rest of the year!